Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Soon To Be Birthday Boy

My baby will be turning six soon. Six. SIX? SIX! That seems like an unbelievably large number. All the fingers on one hand plus one from the other hand. No way. I remember when he turned two and, when asked his age, he would hold up both index fingers and say "Two!" It was freakin' adorable. And now he will be turning six.

Family are beginning to email and call asking for gift ideas. The ideas I have for him are, in reality, too young - I fail to see him as the big kid he is clearly becoming. There is a lot of truth behind the line "No matter how old you get, you will always be my baby."

We were out today and he kept seeing things he wanted; Moon Sand (I vetoed that for now but said we could look at it for a summer *outside* activity), The 101 Dalmatian DVD, a new T-Ball set (the one he got when he turned three has been through three rough years so he could definitely use a new one now that he is interested in learning to play) and of course a new swimming pool.

The other day he informed me that he wanted to learn to play golf. Yes, golf. He asked if one of his uncle's could teach him to play and I responded that I didn't think any of his uncle's play golf....boy was he disappointed! I wasn't too surprised today when he gravitated over to the "real" sports row and started checking out golf clubs. I won't be too surprised if Cleveland golf clubs end up on his wish list. :) I did talk with him about miniature golf so maybe we'll take a birthday trip to one at our mall and see how it goes.

I guess in the next week or so I really need to talk with him and narrow down his wish list. I think I'm in denial though....SIX? Really? Wow.

6 comments:

Audra said...

time passes so fast! It's almost crazy, I find myself grasping for present time, I can only imagine what that's like with kids!

Sheri said...

While mine isn't at this age yet, my nephew's 6th birthday is Friday--good thing I looked up his birthday before heading to the store, or I would have bought a "Happy 5th" card. For my nephew, it's all about Marble Mania, Cars (the movie), Hot Wheels, dinosaurs, and Animal Planet ... just thought I'd throw in a few more ideas for you.
:-)

SassyFemme said...

Golf at six years old? I'm impressed. Maybe golf lessons could be on that list?

Monogram Queen said...

It is just unbelievable that Kelton will be SIX. I love that he wants to play golf. I wish my Dad lived near y'all. He would be delighted to take him under his wing. He used to make me caddy for him and play and wanted me to take lessons cos' he thought I could go pro. (NOT)

Brenda said...

Yeah...I don't know how my son turned 6. I swear it was just yesterday that we celebrated his 2nd birthday. ((sigh))

Jen said...

I remember Dakota calling to give me the labor updates and then when he was born!

(Mostly I just want to brag that I "know" you from almost-real life!)

Hey, re: the Moon Sand, I don't know if you've used it before so here's my advice, for what it's worth: ;)

It sucks. It doesn't come out of the molds like it looks like it does on tv. It stays packed in the molds until you dig it out with your fingernails. If you use a toy (action figure or something) in it, the moon sand clings to all the crevices and never ever ever comes off. And I mean seriously, never. Of course, we don't have a power-washer -- that might do it.

And we played with it outside at one point, but I guess because of how it repels water, it never washes away. So I swept the last bit off the porch, but there was blue moon sand in our landscaping mulch all summer and last I saw it was still there. The rain doesn't take care of it.

I HATE Moon Sand! And if it worked like it does on tv, the mess would be worth it, but my kids just get frustrated when the molds don't work.

But if you do get it for outside use, make sure you get a "natural" color that will blend into your landscaping.