Monday, March 10, 2008

All Aboard the Crazy Train!

I swear to you that I need to have family t-shirts printed up that say "All Aboard the Crazy Train!" because this family is certifiable.

It wasn't me this time though so I'm feeling pretty smug about that. Oh no - this time it was Dakota who lost her ever-lovin' mind. She brought home a new dog. Well - she didn't so much bring it home as moved ahead with adoption plans. The foster family drove the dog 4 plus hours to deliver her to our house (which was actually pretty darn amazing!).

Back story, anyone?

A month or so ago Dakota started "looking" at what type of dog she would like to have and she narrowed it down to a boxer. I was not on board with this, mind you. I was no where near ready to get another dog. And a boxer? Seriously? When she started narrowing the playing field down to specific dogs, we had a heart to heart and I asked that she not move ahead until she was out of school for the summer because a new dog would be one more added stress to my already over-stressed and over-whelming life and besides, I'm not the dog person per se, she is. I thought it was only right that she was home more to help out and make the transition easier for all of us. She agreed to wait.

Fast forward to last weekend when I opened my email to find photos and the story of "the perfect dog for our family". It was clear that Dakota had already fallen in love with this dog and was well on her way of bringing her home.

Some deep breathing and a few futile "I thought we agreed to wait" 's. followed by "I didn't expect to find this one. I was just seeing what was out there." followed by more heavy sighing and deep breathing...............and we have a new dog. We should have named her "Mid-Semester Crisis" *grin* but we didn't...so without further ado.....

Introducing Maddie:


A 3 year old boxer mix who is an amazing ball of energy inside the body of a very tender and sweet pup. The kids love, love, love her and she loves them right back. Jordan adores her and the cats are learning to tolerate her.

I will admit, she is very, very sweet and well behaved and I love that she is so great with the kids and that they are loving her and enjoying playing fetch and frisbee.




And of course we need photos of our Jordan, too. :)


Tired dogs hanging out with Kaylen.


So - ready or not, we are back to two dogs. She is a sweetheart, that's for sure and so far, it's going well. Now if I can just find my groove and set up a new routine that works for everyone we'll be doing ok. :)

12 comments:

PT-LawMom said...

Awww. She really does have the most adorable face and your son does seem taken with her. Still - UGH, the responsibility! Hope Maddie behaves herself better than a three year-old child. ;)

Sheri said...

Maddie looks so sweet curled up on her little bed. Looks like she might have some foxhound in her too. Congratulations on the addition of your new family member!

Melanie said...

What is going on right now?? TWO of my sisters adopted dogs this past weekend!!! Mind you - one sister lives in Portland, the other in England. No, they had not discussed this.... Weird!!

Audra said...

What a cutie. But wow! Another dog! You'll have quite the adventure- especially with a boxer mix. They have so much energy! Hope everything turns out well. The photos look just precious.

Perrin said...

She's cute. Congratulations and may she be a peaceful dog. We are still planning to join the world of dog owners in MAy.

Monogram Queen said...

Awww Maddie (i'm partial to that name btw!) is so very lucky she found her forever home with y'all!

Stacey said...

Oh wow, what a thing to surprise you with! She is adorable though and it's hard to say no to such a cute face. :)

Julie said...

Maddie's beautiful! I LOVE boxers!! Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

Shannon said...

Ohhhh, she's a beautiful dog! Congrats on the new addition!

Lynilu said...

Awww, I like her! What a sweet face! You chose well, Casey! Giggle!!

SassyFemme said...

She's a cutie.

Anonymous said...

She is adorable Casey! And you are BRAVE!!! I am glad to hear you are figuring out the schedule and i sincerely hope the "mop count" goes down a bit! Yikes!