Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Last Wednesday: Otherwise Known as HOT DAY

Last Wednesday was predicted to break records both here at home and in the Seattle area. And it did. It topped out at 107 degrees at the Portland airport and 103 at the Seattle airport. The Portland area, since it is in a valley, is usually hotter than Seattle but 5-10 degrees on any summer day. 103 for Seattle was previously unheard of. Never in recorded history for weather has it been 103 in the Seattle area. My sister's house is located in an area which ran hotter than the "official airport" reading. Lucky us. :)

So anyway - with the temps predicted to be high, the kids and I woke up at 5:30am to temps already in the upper 70's. Ugh.

We delivered Kelton to the camp bus on time and then Kaylen and I had some time to kill before it would be time to go meet up with Delly, a long time friend of mine. We hit the McDonald's playland for an hour and then hit the Dollar Tree so that we could have a few things to help keep Kaylen busy while Delly and I chatted. After that we started our drive down to the area where Delly lives - which also happens to be near the house that Dakota and I owned in Mountlake Terrace. I am always curious to see the house and the last time I went by there was 2 years ago. Kaylen had no memory of it and was eager to see the house Kelton first called home.

It pretty much looked the same. Same color, same shutters we installed, same front door and screen door we installed. Same garden bricking that we worked hard to put in and the same address plaque that I worked so hard to find and create. They had installed new windows and had removed the squirrel feeder and replaced it with a satellite dish (the feeder was much cuter - in case you are wondering). They had two big motorcycles parked on the front walk (which was kind of weird. Why not in the driveway, side yard or hey - the carport? But whatever.) It's always a bittersweet thing to see our first house. So many memories. We loved that little place. *sigh* Kaylen had a good time asking questions and really wanted to know which window was Kelton's window.

After we drove around the neighborhood for a bit it was time to head to Delly's. We arrived right around 11 and had a great visit! Delly made us the most delicious lunch and she and I were able to catch up. Before either of us wanted, it was time to say goodbye. She had a conference call (she was working from home) set up at 1pm that she had to be on. We said our goodbyes and headed out into......the unbelievable heat! UGH!

In 20 minutes we were back at my sister's house were we went into lock down in the family room with my brother-in-law. It was the room were a small window a/c unit is and we cranked that puppy up to high and entertained ourselves by watching the numbers on the backyard outside temperature jump higher and higher. All we could do was laugh. For fun, I got a photo of the front temperature, too. It's hotter out in the front yard for some reason.

Check it out:


Time: 1:28 and 103 degrees (this was when I first got back to the house)

1:37 and it's now 104.

1:58 and we are at 105.

At 1:47 it was 113 in the front yard.


3:00 and it's now 106.

3:26 found us at 107. My sister arrived home shortly after this picture and then at 4 I left to go get Kelton. When I got back....... at 5:11 it was 109! And a cool 83 in the air conditioned room. UGH! We packed up the kids and headed to McDonald's for dinner. The wall of heat as we moved from the room with the a/c to the rooms without was intense! Talk about your fat burners! Holy toledo! (Now if only that worked....we joked often about the Heat Wave Weight Loss Program but sadly....it doesn't work all that well. It should - but it doesn't. *sigh*

By bedtime, the room the kids and I slept in was sitting at 93 degrees so we decided to camp out in the family room for the night. I just have to say - that was an intense heat day and I was desperately missing my a/c at home. The heat is so different when you are heated up to the very core of your being. It's unbearable. But with a/c you keep your core cool so being outside isn't such torture. Because seriously? 109 degree outside temperature was awful!

Thankfully - the next day was cooler. I think it only got to 96. But you know what? It felt sooooo much better! :)

Next up: Thursday :)

6 comments:

Tanya said...

That is crazy hot! I alwasy wanted to live in the Seattle area becuase of the cool temps, but heck, no more!

Casey said...

It IS crazy hot but that is why they called it a heat wave and why it broke records. It's not usual at all. I kept saying "This is the week we picked? Are you kidding me?" I had even packed fleece jackets because the mornings are usually quite cool up there. Clearly *those* never left the car all week. :)

Dakota said...

The pictures crack me up! Even though I was not exactly having a fun day myself, I am glad I was not with you! Sorry, honey!

Audra said...

UGH HEAT. I hate it so much. It was even warm up herei n Forks apparently, but thankfully it cooled down by the time we got here! Glad it'll be cooler when we get there!

Anonymous said...

shoot, I really need to dust that thermometer jobbie. You didn't say you were going to publish those pix so the whole world could see how I feel about dusting.....

And I'm okay with NEVER seeing that number on there again!

Caroline said...

I really think Mother Nature is confused because when you were getting that crazy hot weather, Kansas was enjoying temps in the
80s and at night it was going down to the 50s. It was wonderful!! Did you ever consider going to a hotel? I am not sure I could have stayed in that heat like you guys did. You are brave.