Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Highlights from an Afternoon at Our House

Playing school and eating lunch. Working at the same table didn't go as smoothly as yesterday so I went out to the garage and unearthed the little desk that my dad made for me when I was six years old. Ever since it came back to me four years ago (a now-grown niece used it (hence the blue stenciled hearts as well as various other children over the years) I have been meaning to paint it so it would be ready for this day but alas, I have never done that and wow (!) does it look like it. A fresh coat of paint is definitely in its future! Then I lugged in the other desk for Kaylen (it goes back and forth to the garage depending on how much they are using it). Having their own work spaces was a good thing! :) The belts are their seat belts - of course. :) Don't *you* use a seat belt when working at a desk. :)


Kelton looking through his workbook. (See how mcuh this thing needs to be painted? Eeeww!)


After playing school for a while it was time to move onto other things. They went outside for a bit - well, long enough to ask that I scoop (YUCK!) and swing for about 5 seconds after I finished that lovely task. (Though I must say, having only one dog makes a huge difference in this job. I'm just saying....) Then they wanted hot chocolate because it was cold outside (yes, sweethearts. It was only 35 degree today. That IS cold - especially when you both refuse to wear coats.) After the hot chocolate was consumed Kaylen moved on to dressing up and skating. Her pink skates are one of her all time favorite things. It's pretty cute. :)


Jordan getting into the photo. :)


She is so much fun to take pictures of right now. I remember Kelton went through this phase too so I'm sure it won't be long before I get the tongue sticking out and the weird faces. Until then - I love taking her picture. :)


And yes, she is a safe skater. Knee pads *and* elbow pads. And yes, that is her purple princess dress - on backwards, of course. :)


And there she goes!

While Kaylen was skating and dressing up, Kelton was playing ToonTown. On the computer desk you can see the hot chocolate cups as well as Kaylen's princess mirror. :) That rag-taggled thing Kelton is holding? That's "Baby" his much beloved blanket. I don't hold out much hope for its long-term survival - it's in pretty rough shape but oh how he loves it!


And this is a screen shot of a Toon vs Cog fight in a Cog building in ToonTown. Kelton's character, Duke, is the one in the middle. The object is to destroy the robot cogs with gags such as lemon pie, seltzer water bottle or a horn. Kelton and I have so much fun playing this game together and in the past couple of days Kelton has started playing on his own (and his reading skills are improving daily with the game - it's been amazing to witness!) and by golly - the kid is GOOD! Makes a ToonTown loving Mom proud! :)


Later on in the evening I went into the living room and found this very adorable and sweet scene. Kaylen's Care Bear, Sunshine, was tired and ready for bed so Kaylen made her a bed on top of the coffee table, tucked her in and was reading her a bedtime story. This little girl just melts my heart!
So there you have it - a very busy four and a half hours. And of course it was busier still for me as I was running around getting tons of stuff done like laundry, cleaning and dishes. Never a dull moment, that's for sure! :)

10 comments:

Brenda said...

All that in one afternoon? Wow!

Sheri said...

You have an amazingly creative household. And I agree with Brenda, Wow! No wonder you needed dinner ideas after an afternoon like that. Hope you're enjoying a peaceful evening :-)

Mimi said...

OMG what cute little children!!!! You're like me always have the camera in hand....just remember to let people take YOUR picture...when my daughter got married and we put together a slide show of the bride and groom growing up...there weren't very many pictures of me....now when we have get togethers I alway try to hand the camera for some one to take my pictures....

Monogram Queen said...

Amen for never a dull moment! How sweet that they can use your desk. I love stuff like that!
Hmmm maybe the easter bunny will bring Maddie some skates. I have never saw those before!

Lynilu said...

I love it when I hear of families whose children are able to be occupied without a TV. Y'all have obviously "done good"!!

Jen said...

That belt-'em-to-their-chairs thing is going to come in handy! ;)

Casey said...

Brenda: Just a typical afternoon around here. :)

Sheri: Creative...busy. Something, that's for sure. :)

Mimi: Thanks!

Patti: We got the skates at Target. Bet they would still have some. :)

Lynilu: Thanks - I really try.

Casey said...

Fern: LOL!!! Somehoe I just knew you would catch that. :) I hope everyone is doing better at your house today.

Stacey said...

cute pictures. love the one of her reading her carebear a bedtime story. so sweet.

SassyFemme said...

I just wish I could have that kind of day! What an idyllic childhood your kids are having!