Friday, January 06, 2006

SPF Revisited

After the day I've had today I came up with a new Before and After picture....the only trouble is I have no idea how to photograph sanity....and lack thereof.

The girl had a super rough night last night - though she really *wanted* to sleep she was just unable to stay that way for more than a few minutes at a time. And if baby isn't sleeping, Mama isn't sleeping either. I tried all the tricks - clean diaper, Tylenol, rocking, I even resorted to thinking she was really hungry and that my well had run dry so I fixed a bottle (she drank 2oz. Clearly not starving.). Nothing worked for more than 15 minutes.

At times she would out and out cry - from frustration, I'm sure - but mostly she would just moan, groan, flip this way and that, sit up, groan some more, etc.

I figure I logged maybe 2.5 hours in tiny little bits of time. I finally get her to settle down a bit and doze off for about 20 minutes. The next thing I know a little boy is speaking (loudly, I might add) to me saying "Mama - you gotta get up. Other mama say I watch two shows then I can wake you up. Get up!"

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" I growl in my Mama Bear voice. "Don't wake your sister!"

"GET UP!"

I stumble out of bed, glaring at him in my best "I may love you but right now I have not an OUNCE of like for you." look. And just then - the little one wakes up, cries out, sits up and lunges for me. Oh freakin' great. So much for sleep. I follow the boy into the livingroom and notice the clock on the wall.....he watched two shows my big Aunt Fanny! Dakota had left the house maybe 30 minutes before which means it was waaaaaaay too early for a mama who hadn't slept all night to be awake.

Needless to say, the day just continued to spiral downward from there. Two sleep deprived children and one exhausted, sleep deprived mama does not a pretty picture make.

Dakota took them over to her mom's tonight (Thank God!) for a family get-together that I couldn't face attending in my state of mind. I spent the first 45 minutes putting order to the house which looked like a tornado whipped through it and now I am writing this. I hope Dakota took my words to heart when I said "Please - DON'T hurry back!"

3 comments:

em1__mak2 said...

This is a time you could really use those Wonder Woman underoos.

Sonya said...

Oh NO. I truly feel your pain and lack of sleep. I hope princess isn't coming down with something! I hope last night went better!

Catherine said...

Casey, I have been there more nights than I care to remeber. Robbie was the most like that before he had his enlarged adenoids removed. Something to think about. I wish you get a visit from the sleep fairy, but remember to send her to my house after.