Sunday, January 15, 2006

And We're Off..........Again!

Yep - Law School, Semester Two beings tomorrow night. Yes, you read the correctly - tomorrow night. Oh sure- tomorrow IS indeed a holiday for public education institutions, banks, federal offices and most businesses but the law school D attends is private and, as a result, see no reason to pay any mind to the "less important-mainstream/bank type holidays". *sigh*

D is tomorrow off from work but then, around mid-afternoon, she will pack up and leave us in pursuit of higher learning.....and, around mid-afternoon, the kids and I will begin our descent into chaos.

I have to laugh at times though......this weekend, in particular, has been stressful as we all gear up for change and well, let's face it, life with kids is generally stressful - especially the evening hours. At a really chaotic times, when D was losing patience and all semblance of sanity and her temper was starting to show I gently said "Yeah - and there's two of us now. Just imagine dealing with this alone." to which I would heard the response "I couldn't. I could never do this all the time like you do. I don't know how you do it." My inner child was having a freakin' field day - screaming at the top of her lungs "I can't do it alone!! Have you no idea that this goes on all the time even when you aren't here to see it???? How is it that you just take for granted that I can do this all alone all the time?"

The adult in me just said "It sucks. This time of day sucks." and let it go.

To her credit though she did ask me if, after her first year is done, I thought she should take a year off. You all hear my laughter, right? Yeah sure - take a year off *after* starting this but you couldn't do it when I practically begged you to last year. Ummm....no. I want her to stay in and finish now. No point in postponing it. The baby is getting easier - I really, really, really needed D here when the baby was 6, 7, 8, 9 months...now that she is beginning to walk and talk, things are getting a bit easier. I needed her here when the boy was going through the roughest, nastiest parts of being three. Now that he's starting to come out of that stage, we're doing better (overall).

I needed her home when my PPD was wildly out of control. Now I have better meds to help and I don't feel as desperate or as out of control.

So no....but thanks for asking. I'd like you to just continue on so we can reach the end more quickly.

It's going to be a bumpy ride over the next 16 weeks. I'm sure I'll have lots to blog about....and hopefully I'll be able to find the time. Don't forget...I also need to find time for scrapping. Hmmmm......maybe daycare every other day so I can do all the things I need to do. :)

A girl can dream, can't she? :)

8 comments:

One Boys Mom said...

So Kelton is over the worst of the three's, Dec just hit his worst..terrible. How long does it last?

One Boys Mom said...

BTW I know it's hard...but it will be worth it in the end :)

em1__mak2 said...

I agree to just keep going to get it all over with as soon as possible.

My own descent into madness has started again already, too. I know I'm taking on more than I can handle with 4 graduate courses, a nearly 3yo boy who no longer goes to preschool and the possibility of a part-time job, as well.

I'll be right there with you in this madness so feel free to rant and vent at me anytime you'd like. It might just make me feel better when times get tough -- and they inevitably will.

Gee, I wish we weren't half a continent and then some away.

Sonya said...

I wish you good luck as you enter into semester #2!

I have faith in you that you'll pull through with flying colors. You always do. In the meantime I hope the kiddo's don't remove the color in your hair :).

I'm sorry that D didn't see your plea to wait it out NOW. I'm sorry that she didn't fully understand what your needs were. But now that you are through those transitions and maybe more prepared to handle it alone... I can see how it would be best to forge ahead. Keep looking ahead... the end will be here before you know it.

Caroline said...

Good luck with the 2nd semester. Question...does she go to school in another city? You said something about packing up...I was just curious. Even if she is there every night she is probably really focused on studying, etc. It will be worth it in the end. Hang in there. I bet it's hard when you can't spend a lot of time outside and you are in the house alot during the winter months. Well..you have a lot of courage...

Casey said...

Caroline,
She does go to school in another city but luckily we are just about 30-40 minutes away. She does come home every night - she'll be arriving home around 10PM this semester and then will be leaving at 5:30AM every day. She works all day, travels to her school, attends classes all evening and then travels home. It's a long day - for all of us.

Saturday, all day long from 7-5pm, is a study day and then Sunday is family day - no studying allowed. :)

Mistalyn, I'm going to err on on the side of caution and say he isn't out of it yet but I see improvements. It's been a looooong road. I'd say it's last the better part of 9 months. But don't worry - Dec will throw in some good days just to keep you on your toes. :)

Thanks to everyone else! I love knowing that you are all out there rooting me on.

Anonymous said...

Just take a deep breath Casey. You can do it!!! You have a large cheering section you can lean on too! :o)

Laura said...

Oh sweetie, just my hugs and love. I don't know how you do it either.