Monday, December 22, 2008

Snow, Ice, Snow, Snow, Snow!!

We have 12 inches of snow in our backyard. 12 inches. I've heard that the record for snowfall in the month of December stands at 15 inches. Any guesses on whether we will break that or not? It's still snowing.

I love it. Still. Though I am hearing frustration from other people. I know people who are waiting to fly out for Christmas and I have friends trying to drive to the coast for the holiday (and another friend who is scheduled to leave the day after). I know people who are starting to complain of cabin fever and I have heard people who grew up in heavy snow areas asking where the snow plows and sanding trucks are (my guess is out on the freeways and arterials. I've never seen a sanding truck in our neighborhood. And in all my life in Seattle, I never saw the trucks in neighborhoods there either. Cities here don't seem to have the trucks or manpower for that. Snow is a rare thing - and this much snow, even more so.).

I have heard from people still needing to do shopping (and I feel bad for them. That's big stress.). I know that Dakota's sister was forced to cancel her big annual holiday bash. It's a mess and from the looks of it, it will be for a few more days at least.

We're supposed to leave town on the 27th to go up to my family but unless the roads between here and there are clear, we won't be going. We'll have to wait until things clear. It's the only smart thing to do because it just isn't worth it to risk our lives. It's not just my driving I worry about (and trust me, I worry about my snow/ice driving) but I worry about the crackpots who *think* they can drive on it. I don't care how good of a driver you are, ice is ice and there is plenty of ice to be had under the new 6 inches of snow that fell last night.

So my recommendation for all those with cabin fever? Give into it. Surrender, Dorothy, surrender. There is nothing you can do about it. Ditch the jeans and pull on the comfy clothes. Build a fire if you can, pop in a movie, maybe make some popcorn and just settle in. Maybe find a book you have been wanting to read. Maybe spend time figuring out what a Slingbox is and whether you could use one. When you (or the kids) get antsy being inside, pull on the warm clothes and go romp around the yard or take a walk. The fresh air will make you feel better and when you are good and cold, go in and have some hot cocoa.

The snow will melt and life will go back to it's crazy state - consider this week a gift. A forced "slow down, look around and be thankful for all you have". It's only here for a few minutes in the grand scheme of things so do what you can to make great memories for your kids because in doing so, you're making great memories for yourself!

Happy snow!!

2 comments:

traci said...

I hear you! My daughter is here from Spokane and completely irritated that she's been stuck in the house for nearly the entire week. I think it's wonderful. We have food, heat, each other PLUS a 4 wheel drive just in case we must get anywhere. Heaven!!! Stay warm neighbor!

Monogram Queen said...

Well you got that winter weather you wanted! It did screw up alot of travel plans but I love your attitude and echo it!