Friday, October 03, 2008

Ok - I admit it

Sarah Palin did better last night then I would have ever expected. Better as in her presentation - certainly NOT in what she presented.

Did she make any huge improvements in the numbers for her party? Probably not but she probably did energize her base. According to the polls I saw after the debate, the undecided voters (which are truly the only ones that matter because if you are for McCain before, you still are and if you were for Obama before, you still are) are leaning towards Obama. I thought one graph shown on CBS was telling. They rated the responses to their room full of undecided voters based on each question/answer. The graph showed a huge positive response when Joe Biden talked about ending the war in 16 months and then Sarah talked about "that would be the white flag of surrender" the numbers took a dive which clearly means that people want out of this war. That is bound to be a tipping point.

Now personally speaking; I was about ready to gouge my eyes out when Palin would say "maverick" "tap" and "reform". I gave up counting because mostly I wanted her to find some new words. UGH! I loved, loved, loved Biden countering her "he's such a maverick on..." with all the things that prove he is NOT a maverick.

Frankly - maverick just isn't all that positive of a word for me. It makes me think of cowboys and riding the range - or maybe a tv show - which I guess isn't *negative* but I don't' see it as a word needed in the presidential campaign.

So I guess what I'm rambling on about is all in all, I think Palin did a good job at the debate. Still hate their platform and completely fail to see where it differs to what has been happening the the past 8 years. I still think it will be more of the same for the next four years if they get into office but she did do a good job of speaking (could have done without hearing "doggone it" and the shout out to a class just about let me in fits of giggles for the complete inappropriateness of it). As far as who did a better job; I believe with all my heart that Joe Biden did a much, much better job.

5 comments:

A Jersey Girl said...

Ya gotta Love Joe Biden. He really is a likable fella:)

But I agree, she did much better than I thought she would. However, I think it is sad that people were judging where she won or not on the fact that she did SO much better than expected and they spoke nothing at all about her answers to policy(and yes, I was one of them judging that way:)

Still I think she may be just a bit too much of an "ordinary" person to be VP.

But that's just MY opinion. Have a Great Weekend!

Emily

Unknown said...

You know, until last night I hadn't really seen or heard much from Joe. But I was impressed. But I agree, Palin did okay, and I don't think she was wearing an ear-piece like rumored!

I'm glad someone's brave enough to blog politics. I have my opinions, but I keep them close :)

Froggymama said...

Well doggonit, golly gee willakers, garsh, I have to agree. She did...okay. She didn't actually answer any of the questions asked, but her answers to what she "wanted them to ask her" were fine.

I think Biden was intelligent and diplomatic. And I was really touched when he started to get choked up about his family, after Palin played the "I know how it is for us workin' folks" and he really nailed her with a "ya know, you're not the only one to go through tough times!"

Her closing speech was better, but very rehearsed (or fed via ear piece). :)

Ree said...

I also agree--she did do better than I thought she would--although she was in the media business and wanted to be a sportscaster--but she still did change anything. She didn't fumble like in the interviews but still 'talked around' the questions ratherthan answering them.
Let's just pray she doesn't get to that one step away of President!!

Monogram Queen said...

I agree on all counts Casey! I also admire you for giving credit where credit is due, but then again i'd expect no less of you (or Dakota or Lynilu - my three politico heroes!)